A UTM builder or URL builder is a tool that saves you from the annoyance of manually adding specific UTM parameters to the end of all links that send traffic to your blog or website.
If you are not familiar with UTM tagging, UTM codes will help you to track the channels and sources through which the audience will come to your website in google analytics and other analytics tools such as Kissmetrics, Amplitude, and Mixpanel.
What Exactly Is a UTM?
UTM stands for Urchin Tracking Module. It is a solution formed by Urchin, a software corporation formulated by google in 2005 which help to set the basis for google analytics. Urchin Tracking Module helps you get an understanding of your traffic and campaigns. Constantly use of UTMs in link tagging will let you collect valuable first-party data on your clients and their journey.
You have probably noticed UTMs when copying and pasting website URLs. they are the long line of code you see at the end of the link. Urchin Tracking Module codes do not change how pages function. They rather send campaign information to your analytical forum. They always capture the marketing medium (channel) the interaction occurred on, the campaign associated with the link, and the source of the traffic. UTMs also share information about different campaigns’ nuances such as the keywords, link placement, or ad copy.
Why Are UTMs Important?
Without UTM campaign data, it is easy to misattribute ROI to the wrong campaign or channel. Then you’d end up with statistics that might look OK, but are actually misleading. Insufficient marketing data leads to insufficient marketing decisions.
Email traffic and social media traffic are the general culprits of misattributed campaign data. But it is very difficult to keep your ROI attribution data and traffic cohesive. if you don’t use UTMs regularly on the links you advertise, publish, or place.
On the opposing, when you do use UTMs, you finish up with a reward of trustworthy first-party data. That will give you a fine look at how your campaigns drive traffic, discover the behavior of that traffic, and learn how it drives revenue and transactions.
Benefits of UTM Builder: Create UTM tracking and UTM codes
The UTM builders is a strong and effective tool that helps you to create UTM codes and implement UTM tracking. Anyone can get benefit from using a UTM builder. There are a lot of benefits of using a UTM builder for UTM tracking:
- It helps to measure SEO success
- Increase modifications by understanding how users collaborate with your website
- It allows you to keep up-to-date on clients’ trends so you can do future campaigns accordingly.
What’s the UTM code? How does a UTM Builder Work?
UTM code is small for Urchin Tracking Module. UTM codes are a way to track your marketing attempts by giving metrics such as clicks, conversions, and impressions. An Urchin Tracking Module code includes the name of the campaign (utm_campaign), the medium in which you’re running ads (utm_medium), the source of traffic (utm_source), and the particular ad group or keyword that generated the traffic (especially if you are using retargeting ads or paid ads).
How to create your UTM codes with the UTM builder
Some best practices you must know to clean google analytics data from UTMs before creating your UTM codes are:
- Use Urchin Tracking Module tagging on external content only. Using internal links on your site will lead to false reporting because google analytics will analyze the clicks as new sessions.
- Form a constant UTM naming convention over all your marketing channels.
- Do not use special characters or punctuation in your parameters.
- Always use dashes rather than white space in your parameters.
Follow these easy steps to use the Urchin Tracking Module builder to create your Urchin Tracking Module codes.
- Input your blog post, landing page URL, or website
- Fill out the accurate values your organization has specified for sources, campaign, term, content, and medium.
- Check that all things look good and adhere to best practices.
- Click “build URL” to create your Urchin Tracking Module code.
- Copy the crated URL and use it in your marketing campaigns.