New York Governor Andrew Cuomo introduced in a press conference on Friday that he would signal an government order mandating that 100% of the state’s workforce should keep residence, because the variety of reported coronavirus circumstances continues to rise at an alarming charge.
- The order excludes pharmacies, grocery shops and different “essential businesses.”
- Delivery providers are additionally deemed as important, as is mass transit—although Cuomo mentioned, “Don’t take public transit unless urgent and absolutely necessary.”
- “These are legal provisions,” Cuomo mentioned. “There will be a civil fine and mandatory closure for businesses not in compliance.”
- The New York governor additionally reiterated the necessity for medical provides and ventilators: “I’m asking businesses to get creative. . . . If you can make them, we will give you funding to do it,” he mentioned. “We will pay a premium for these products.”
- Cuomo additionally mentioned that the state would waive elected surgical procedures because it tries to cope with the rising severity of the coronavirus outbreak. He requested nursing and medical faculties to step up and supply workers, in addition to for retired medical doctors to come back again into service.
- The governor confirmed that he can be issuing a full cease to any evictions of residential or industrial tenants for 90 days.
Crucial statistic: New York state has the very best variety of confirmed coronavirus circumstances within the U.S. The variety of contaminated has now risen to over 7,000—considerably greater than in Washington and California. The hospitalization charge at the moment sits at 18%, based on Cuomo.
Crucial quote: “Ventilators are to this war what missiles were to World War II,” Cuomo mentioned in his press convention. “It’s ventilators, ventilators, ventilators. That’s the greatest need.”
Big quantity: New York is now testing extra folks per capita than China and South Korea, Cuomo mentioned. “We’ve done a great job of ramping up the number of tests,” however that additionally clearly results in extra optimistic circumstances, he famous.
Key background: A day earlier, Cuomo ordered 75% of the workforce in nonessential providers to remain residence. He argued that the coronavirus pandemic is akin to one of the vital moments in his state’s historical past—the September 11, 2001, assaults. “For me, in New York, it reminds me of 9/11, where one moment that was inconceivable just changed everything,” Cuomo mentioned yesterday. On Wednesday, he additionally introduced that President Trump would ship a U.S. Navy hospital ship to anchor in New York Harbor to assist ease the crowded metropolis hospitals.
Further studying: Governor Cuomo is the “control freak we need right now,” argues New York Times columnist Ben Smith. Forbes senior contributor Carmine Gallo equally writes that Cuomo “balances calm with the need for drastic measures.”
What to observe for: As of now, no particular person fines will but be levied in opposition to individuals who ignore the governor’s stay-at-home order. Cuomo additionally criticized younger individuals who have nonetheless been going out and feeling “invincible.” The assertion that younger folks can’t get the virus is “wrong—it’s just not a factual statement,” the governor mentioned.